Local College SportsUAlbany

UAlbany men’s basketball loses 61-52 against Dartmouth

ALBANY — Playing in their first non-conference rematch since the 2013-14 season, the University at Albany men’s basketball team hosted Dartmouth on Saturday, the Great Danes second game against the Big Green since November 30.  After suffering a 14-point defeat in the first game to Dartmouth, UAlbany fell to the Big Green again, 61-52.

In their first meeting 15 days ago, Dartmouth hit its first nine shots from behind the arc.  Saturday, the Big Green missed their first two.  After four minutes of play, UAlbany led Dartmouth 8-4.

Dartmouth, which entered the game ranked in the top 10 nationally in three-point percentage, hit their first three with 14 minutes remaining in the first to cut UAlbany’s lead to one.

Cameron Healy gave UAlbany its first double-digit lead with 9:05 left in the first half, putting the Danes up 20-8.  Dartmouth hadn’t scored in nearly four minutes of game time, having missed their last seven shots. 

UAlbany built its lead on a 12-0 run lasting more than four minutes.  Dartmouth finally broke the run with just under eight minutes remaining in the first to cut the UAlbany lead to 23-10.

Dartmouth went on a quick 5-0 run to cut the lead to 29-18 with five and a half minutes left in the first.  The Big Green came within single digits with three minutes remaining.  By halftime, UAlbany held a nine-point, 34-25 lead.

In the first half, Dartmouth shot 4-12 from three, and 10-27 overall.  UAlbany had shot 7-12 from behind the arc and 11-29 from the floor, but finished the half shooting 1-7.  Ahmad Clarkled all scorers at the mid-way point with 11 points.

A 5-0 run for the Big Green to open the second half cut UAlbany’s lead to four.  Devonte Campbell put UAlbany back up by six with a layup on the other end.  Dartmouth’s run extended to 9-2 to open the half before UAlbany called timeout with 16:06 remaining, leading 36-34.

Dartmouth tied the game at 40 with 11:12 left in the game, having held UAlbany scoreless for more than two minutes.  They took the lead, 42-40, on their next possession, their first lead since 18:27 in the first half.

Clark hit a layup to snap Dartmouth’s two minute, 7-0 run, tying the game at 42.  Dartmouth scored five of the next six points to take a 48-43 lead.  After seeing the Dartmouth lead extend to five, UAlbany held the Big Green scoreless for more than three minutes while forcing four turnovers, but only shot 1-8 from the floor during the stretch, shrinking the lead by just two points.

Two Dartmouth free throws with 3:48 left put the Big Green back up five.  An empty possession for UAlbany led to a layup for Dartmouth on the other end.  Dartmouth next hit a three to go up 55-45 with 2:31 left. 

Dartmouth ultimately built a 12-point lead, before going on to win by nine 61-52.  UAlbany shot just 3-14 from the floor to end the game.

Clark led all scorers with 19 points.  Three Dartmouth players scored in double figures.  Dartmouth shot just 3-12 from three in the second half, but UAlbany only shot 1-12 from behind the arc.  Dartmouth also outscored UAlbany 28-14 in the paint and 9-2 off the bench.

Next: UAlbany visits Providence on Tuesday, December 18 before hosting Manhattan on Thursday, December 20 in the final home game of 2018.

Related Articles