The news is by your side.

Late Union rally falls short in Minnesota

DULUTH, MN – Two quick goals from Josh Kosack and Anthony Rinaldi put the Union men’s hockey team within one goal of an even scoreboard early in the third period, but Michigan Tech would end the contest on top, defeating the Dutchmen, 6-3, in the first game of the 2017 Ice Breaker Tournament at AMSOIL Arena.

The Dutchmen completely out-played the Huskies in the second and third periods, out-shooting Michigan Tech 28-8 in the latter 40 minutes of play. However, it was the first period that hurt Union the most, as the Huskies scored three goals on 12 shots.

Michigan Tech opened the scoring just 3:29 into the game on a shot from the right face-off circle that squeaked past goalie Jake Kupsky.

Union answered back less than four minutes later when Anthony Rinaldi created a turnover and a breakaway for himself. The sophomore skated past the two Huskies’ defensemen before deking Patrick Munson in goal to net his first goal of the season.


Unfortunately, the Huskies went on to score twice more before the end of the period, including a tally on the power play to take a 3-1 lead into the first intermission.

In the second period, Union stepped up its game, but the Huskies would be the only team to find the back of the net in the frame as they increased their lead to 4-1.

Not giving up, the Dutchmen continued to press, determined to erase their deficit.

In his first collegiate game, Kosack netted a rebound goal in front of the net to bring Union within two. A shot from fellow first year Brandon Estes was stopped by Munson, but Kosack was there to pick up the rebound and put it into the open goal.

Less than three minutes later, Rinaldi scored his second of the game to make it 4-3. In a tic-tac-toe series of passes, Brett Supinski made a pass from his knees across to Sebastian Vidmar on the far side of the net. Vidmar then dished the puck to the back door for an easy tap-in goal by Rinaldi.

With Union poised to finish off the comeback, Michigan Tech again capitalized on one of their few chances to gain back its two-goal lead. The Huskies then added an empty-netter in the final minute of play to clinch the 6-3 win. Michigan Tech scored two goals on just three shots in the third period.

Union went 0-for-3 on its power-play chances, while Michigan Tech was 1-for-3 on its PP opportunities.

The Dutchmen will return to the ice tomorrow for the final day of the Ice Breaker Tournament, and will face the loser of the game between Minnesota and Minnesota Duluth. If Minnesota loses, Union will play at 5:07 p.m. (ET), and if Minnesota Duluth loses, Union will play at 8:37 p.m. (ET) tomorrow back at AMSOIL Arena


Ross LaDue/Union Athletics 

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.