Social media threats against Mohonasen schools deemed not credible
ROTTERDAM – Threatening social media posts against students and teachers at Mohonasen Central Schools have been deemed not credible by school officials and town police.
A student at neighboring Schalmont Central Schools made the threatening posts. School officials from both districts said they learned of the posts late Saturday night and contacted police.
“The safety and security of our students, staff, and visitors is always our highest concern,” Schalmont Superintendent Dr. Carol Pallas said in a statement on the disdrict’s website. “We are committed to a safe learning and work environment for all.”
Schalmont schools said police interviewed the student who posted the threatening messages and determined there was no credible threat to the safety of students and staff at either district. The student will not attend school on Monday and is subject to disciplinary action outlined by the school’s code of conduct.
“’See something, say something’ works, and this is a great example,” Mohonasen Superintendent Shannon Shine said. “I would like to thank those who have helped with this investigation so far; the collaboration between Schalmont and Mohonasen has been outstanding. Safety and security of students and staff remain our top priority.”