Adirondack Thunder snap losing streak in Virginia

NORFOLK, VA — The Adirondack Thunder returned to winning ways with a 3-2 victory over the Norfolk Admirals on Thursday evening at the Norfolk Scope.

After a scoreless first period, the Thunder opened the scoring just 77 seconds into the middle stanza as Kevin Lough snapped home his first goal of the season. Adirondack forward Shane Conacher set up Lough streaking through the slot, where the second-year defenseman fired his shot past Norfolk netminder Jamie Murray for the game’s first goal. Lough’s goal extended his point streak to six games while Conacher’s assist was his 10th of the season, surpassing his previous ECHL career-high of nine.

Norfolk responded back, however, with a goal from defenseman Michael Young just over two minutes later. With the Admirals on the man advantage, Young took a feed at the right point, walked in towards the net and sent his shot off of an Adirondack stick and past Thunder goaltender Nick Riopel for his second goal of the season. Norfolk forwards Thomas Frazee and Darik Angeli collected the assists on the play, Frazee’s 11th of the 2017-18 season.

The Thunder returned fire with a goal of their own, this one shorthanded, coming just 4:20 from the end of the second period. With Adirondack shorthanded, forward Ty Loney forced a turnover in the neutral zone, moved in on Murray and went to the backhand for the goal. Loney’s tally marked Adirondack’s third shorthanded goal on this trip and his tenth goal overall this season.

The Admirals drew level for the second time on the evening at the 12:55 mark of the third period as captain Brodie Dupont scored his fourth goal of the season. Forward Grant Besse sent a pass through the slot that hit an Adirondack stick and deflected right to Dupont, who moved in on Riopel and scored on the backhand to knot the score at two. Besse and defenseman TJ Melancon collected the assists on the play, Besse’s seventh of the season.

Adirondack struck back just 44 seconds later, however, as Paul Rodrigues scored against his former team to put the Thunder back on top by a goal. On a 2-on-1 rush with defenseman Desmond Bergin, Rodrigues sent a pass that hit a Norfolk defenseman and rebounded back to him just outside of the crease, where he was able to tap it into the net for the go-ahead goal with less than seven minutes remaining in regulation.

The Thunder continue their 12-game road trip on Saturday as they travel to Manchester to take on the Monarchs for the first meeting this season in New Hampshire. The Thunder are next home on Saturday, November 25 at 7:00 p.m., which begins a seven-game homestand at Cool Insuring Arena.

Comments are closed.