Adirondack Thunder erase three-goal deficit, win in shootout

GLENS FALLS– The Adirondack Thunder came from three goals down to remain unbeaten on the season after a thrilling 6-5 shootout victory over the Manchester Monarchs on Friday evening at Cool Insuring Arena.

- Advertisement -

The Monarchs opened the scoring less than five minutes into the first period as forward Zac Lynch converted on the man advantage for his first goal of the season. A shot from the left point by defenseman Colton Saucerman was turned away by the pad of Thunder goalie Nick Riopel, but the rebound was spilled to the slot where Lynch was waiting to put it home for the goal. Saucerman and forward Joel Lowry collected the assists on the play, his fourth point in four games this season.

Adirondack surged to a lead at the first intermission thanks to two goals in 65 seconds at the end of the first period. First, Thunder forward James Henry tallied his first of the season with a wrist shot from the left-hand circle with forward Eric Neiley collecting the lone assist on the play. Adirondack struck again just over a minute later as JC Campagna scored his first of the regular season to put his team ahead. Campagna took a feed from defenseman Ryan Segalla, skated down the left flank and placed his wrist shot off the far post and in for the goal.

Manchester scored four consecutive goals to open the second period, starting with Craig Wyszomirski’s tally 4:22 into the middle stanza. After Adirondack neutralized off a 5-on-3 penalty kill, the Monarchs would even the score at two as Tony Cameranesi fed Wyszomirski, who beat Riopel on the blocker side from the blue line. The visitors reclaimed the lead just over three minutes later when Matt Marcinew had a shot ring in off the right post and in following a rebound opportunity in the low slot. Saucerman and Cameranesi each picked up assists on the play, the second of the night for both players.

The visitors would then double their advantage at the 13:55 mark of the second period following a scramble in front of the Adirondack net. After Riopel laid out to deny a wrap-around attempt, the puck squirted out in front where Cory Ward pounced on the rebound for his second goal of the season. Less than two minutes later, Rob Hamilton would add to the Manchester lead with a slap shot from the right point that beat Riopel on the glove side through a screen to extend the lead to 5-2.

Despite a missed penalty shot from Thunder forward Brian Ward, Adirondack cashed in less than three minutes from the second intermission on Henry’s second goal of the game. Ward got the play started as he entered the offensive zone with his pass to Ty Loney, who hit Henry with a pinpoint feed in the slot for a tap-in goal at the back post, Henry’s second of the evening. Loney and Ward collected the helpers on the assists on the play, the first point of the season for Ward.

The Thunder generated several scoring chances in the latter stages of the third period and finally converted with 3:30 remaining in regulation, courtesy of a blast from the point by Dylan Olsen. Campagna passed the puck to Olsen at the right point, where the veteran defenseman walked into the slot and fired a shot past a screened Evan Cowley. Campagna’s assist game his second consecutive multi-point game to open the season, while Olsen’s goal was his first as a member of the Thunder.

Momentum would keep building for the hosts as Desmond Bergin evened the score at five after he poked home a rebound with less than two minutes to play in regulation. After Campagna fed Mercier, the rookie forward fired puck towards the front of the net, where it was blocked, but Bergin buried it for his first goal of the season. Mercier’s assist gives him points in back-to-back games while Bergin’s goal was his first as a member of the Thunder.

After an overtime that featured six total shots but no goals, the two teams would head for the shootout. Round one saw saves at both ends before Campagna buried his shot five hole in round two, the lone goal in the shootout. Riopel sealed the Thunder victory with a save on Marcinew to keep the Thunder undefeated on the season.

The Thunder are back in action tomorrow after as they play their first road game of the 2017-18 season against the Reading Royals at Santander Arena. Puck drop is set for 4:00pm. Cool Insuring Arena will next see Thunder hockey three times next week, beginning on Tuesday, when the Greenville Swamp Rabbits come to town for a 7:00pm face-off.


Comments are closed.